“AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE”
(TICK CONTROL IS NO JOKE)
Ticks are no joke. Ticks are one arachnid that no one should mess around with. The diseases that they carry and transfer to humans and pets are serious. There is even a new disease caused by ticks known as Powassan. Right now there is no cure for this and the long term affects can be devastating. The control we take over ticks needs to be serious. Don’t wait till the infestation becomes so big that you are pulling 10 or more ticks off your dog at one time. Start now. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!”
You can tackle tick control on your own if you follow a good DIY program. Here is what I recommend for the best tick control program in your own yard:
- Keep long vegetative areas mowed or weed wacked down.
- Clean out all garden beds of leaves.
*Long, weedy, grassy, wet areas are breeding grounds for ticks.*
- Apply a liquid insect control on all the perimeters of your property and into the garden beds. It is best applied where the manicured part of your yard meets the un-manicured part. Using a liquid, hose-end, applicator such as Eight by Bonide(conventional) or EcoSmart Mosquito & Tick Control(organic) will make application easy. The liquid insect control knocks ticks down quicker than the granular.
- Apply a granular insect control all over the lawn. Sevin(conventional), Bonide(Insect & Grub Control(conventional), or EcoSmart Granular Insect Killer are all excellent choices for an all over lawn treatment. They do not provide as quick of a tick knock down but they do have a longer residual of control.
- Apply a repellent to your own clothing. Nantucket Spider Extra Strength Tick Control(natural) and Repel Clothing & Gear Repellent(conventional) work really well to protect you from ticks crawling onto your body. Read the label. It is important when using Repel to use properly. Repel would be great for campers. It can be sprayed on hiking boots and camping gear. This would give you an extra level of protection.
- Reapply liquid and granular control monthly. In the cool spring, when ticks are most actively breeding, you may need to reapply the liquid, quick knock down product every 2 weeks. It depends on the tick pressure in your yard.
*Ticks do not like the heat. Although they are around in the summer, they are not as prolific and treatment is not as crucial. Ticks resurge at the end of summer, when temperatures begin to cool off again. September or October treat
- Check pets, kids, and yourself nightly. The new tick disease is passed very quickly into the body so quick removal is best.
- Don’t freak out. DIY tick control is very possible. You can really get good control over ticks with these simple methods and the right product choices.
Remember, don’t delay treatment. The sooner the better. Ticks are really no joke!
Come see us at Van Wilgen’s. We would love to help!
Thanks a bunch…Stacey
STACEY’S SHOPPING LIST:
*Eight by Bonide
*EcoSmart Mosquito & Tick Control
*Bonide Insect & Grub Control
*EcoSmart Granular Insect Killer
*Nantucket Spider Extra Strength Tick Control