Happy 150th Arbor Day!
Someone said we should create a machine that soaks up all the carbon in the air and fixes back into the soil. The response is… we already have them! They are called TREES! This week we celebrate the 150th Arbor Day. I thought we were doing great being 102 years old! This special day was established in April 1872 because the good people of Nebraska understood the importance of trees in conserving soil, processing carbon dioxide (so WE can breathe), and contributing to the health and well-being of the future.
I started thinking… how much difference can I make this arbor day. So, I looked around and found out… A LOT! One mature tree… ONE TREE… absorbs 48 pounds of carbon and releases oxygen into the air annually, that’s amazing. So, pick out a tree knowing that when it leaves (get it) here, it is ready to start fixing around 15 pounds of carbon right out of the gate! I am a numbers guy, so I LOVE hearing this stuff. Some cool facts:
- In 40 years, your tree will fix over 1 TON of carbon
- One mature tree can provide enough oxygen in a day for 4 people!
- There are enough trees in the world to remove 1/3 of fossil fuel emissions annually…time to get planting!
- In one year, an ACRE of mature trees absorbs the amount of CO2 produced by a car driven 26,000 miles.
- Every dollar spent on planting and caring for a community tree yield benefits that are two to five times that investment—benefits that include cleaner air, lower energy costs, improved water quality and storm water control and increased property values.
Enjoy these fun facts about trees, I truly enjoyed learning more from the arborday.org website stop in and we can help you pick out the right tree for the right place so you can have years of enjoyment from your new tree. As the old proverb said the best time to plant a tree is 25 years ago. The second best time is today! Happy 150th Arbor Day… keep on growing!