Christmas Tree Varieties
O Christmas tree, o Christmas tree, what kind of Christmas tree is best for me?
For many of us, putting up and decorating a Christmas tree is a staple part of the holiday season. Gathering with the family, pulling out boxes of handmade ornaments and finding the perfect branch to put each one on is a time-honored tradition. For the truly adventurous, choosing a tree begins with a trek into our tree field with a saw in hand and seemingly limitless choices around you. At Van Wilgen’s we carry several varieties of Christmas tree, each with their own unique features. To help make the choice a little easier, we’ve compiled a few quick facts about our favorite tree options.
- All of our pre-cut trees are Fraser Firs, though we also have a selection available in the tree field
- Pre-cut trees range in size from 4 feet, up to 11 feet tall
- Trees in the field are up to 6 feet tall
- Needles are short, dark green with a silver underside
- Soft to the touch
- Very fragrant with excellent needle retention
- Branches are strong, making them great for heavy ornaments
- Trees are up to 8-9 feet in height
- Needles are long and light green in color
- Soft to the touch.
- Very full in shape.
- Extremely fragrant- smells like oranges!
- Best needle retention
- Up to 10 feet in height
- Needles are frosty blue blue in color
- Sharp to the touch…Kids & Pets be careful!
- Blue Spruce has the strongest branches making it the best choice for heavy ornaments
- Pleasant fragrance
- Good needle retention
- A Van Wilgen Favorite!
- Up to 7-8 feet in height (6-7 feet is average)
- Needles are dark green with a silvery underside
- Needles are larger and showier than that of Fraser Fir
- Soft to the touch
- Best fragrance and needle retention
- Sturdy branches are perfect for heavy ornaments
For additional information about the choose and cut process, be sure to check out our article here, as well as our article on caring for your Christmas tree. As always, we’re here to help. If you have any additional questions feel free to give us a call!