SPRING LAWN LOVE
Show your lawns some love this spring. Not only did trees & shrubs suffer from this snowy & windy winter, our lawns struggled quite a bit too. Snow plows scraped up edges of lawns along roads and driveways. Snow shovels scuffed up the lawns alongside walkways. Heavy, wet snow sat on our lawns causing bare patches and diseased areas. Salt dropped for melting ice burned out many lawn edges. Don’t forget about damaging tree limbs and branches fallen all over the ground. Now doesn’t all that make you want to show your lawn some love?!
The snow has melted (I hope). First things first…
- CLEAN SLATE: Take a good heavy duty rake, get outside, get some exercise and clean up all the winter debris on your lawn. If some of the grass tears up easily, that is okay. It means it was not going to make it through the year anyway.
- SOIL TEST: Go to the CT Agricultural Experiment Station in New Haven to get an initial reading of your soil. Knowing the Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, and pH levels of your lawn will get you off to a great start. Bring your tests into me at the Van Wilgen’s Solution Center!
- GYPSUM: If salt damage from the winter storms has affected your lawn health, apply Gypsum. This is a wonderful, underused product that greatly reduces saline in your soil, improves soil conditions, and loosens compact soil.
- FAST ACTING LIME: If you got a soil test and checked your pH, we will know exactly how much lime you need to apply. If you just want to wing it, that’s okay because we always need at least a maintenance rate of lime every year to help our acidic CT soil.
- MOSS OUT: The absolute best time to get rid of moss is when the temperatures are cooler out. Moss grows most actively when it is chilly out. Eliminate the moss now and seed after.
- SEED: Do not leave bare patches in your lawn. If you do, beware! Weeds will take over big time and this is a battle you just don’t want. The best defense against weeds, is a thick stand of turf, so seed, seed seed.
The attention you give your lawn now will pay off in spades later so show your lawn some spring lawn love.
STACEY’S SHOPPING LIST:
*Encap’s Fast Acting Gypsum
*Encap’s Fast Acting Lime
*Lilly Miller’s Moss Out
*Van Wilgen’s Grass Seed
*Greenview’s Grass Seed Accelerator or Seed Success