FANTASTIC FALL FAVORITES
It’s always a good day for the team when we can take a minute to talk about some of our favorite plants. Fall is a fantastic time to plant, and an even better time to admire the landscape. We put pen to paper and came up with a few of our favorite Autumn plants. If you don’t see yours let us know, we love to know what you are planting!
• American Dogwood- Native tree with fantastic red fall color and interesting fruit set.
• Annual Mums- Everybody’s favorite fall flower that come in a wide range of colors and shapes.
• Japanese Anemone- Long blooming, deer resistant, clumping perennial at home in sun or shade.
• Little Quick Fire Hydrangea- the best fall foliage color of any panicled hydrangea, with long lasting blooms persisting through the fall.
• Ivory Halo Red Twig Dogwood- Bright variegated foliage gives way to yellow fall color and blood red branches in late fall and winter.
• Fothergilla- Unbelievable fall foliage display, showcasing the full palate of fall color- orange, red, yellow, and even purple hues in sun or shade.
• Montauk Daisy- Long fall blooming daisy that stands up to salt spray, heat, and tight planting conditions in a cottage garden setting.
• Red Sprite Winterberry- the dwarf cultivar to have among an old time Van Wilgen’s favorite plant. Large glossy red berries come out in fall and last well after the foliage has turned bright yellow and fallen off.
• New England Aster- Purple or pink flowers emerge in early September and brighten up any garden border
• Tree form Limelight Hydrangea- The only choice for a dwarf foundation tree with blooms that continue to be stunning through the fall.
• Itea- Deep red and even purplish tones emerge in the fall, helping this native shrub stand out in the woodland border.
• Sedum- Huge, almost broccoli like flower heads that bloom from August to October are the favorite choice of bees and pollinators in the fall.
• Ornamental Grasses- The star of the fall landscape, with so many great colors and styles that we could devote a whole list just to them.
• Black Eyed Susan- Classic native perennial that provides non stop yellow blooms from late summer to mid fall.